Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Surgery = Tomorrow

Today's my pre-op day at Stanford. Admittedly, I spent a good portion of yesterday in a very un-ninja-like mode that I like to refer to as "Oh My Gosh -What's-Happening-Here?!". I'm going to attribute yesterday's general malaise to having had difficulty sleeping the night prior, an unwilling recipient to all sorts of odd dreams and a random sense of dread.

For some reason, though, today is much better. Maybe I just had to get it out of my system. I guess I wouldn't be human if I didn't take moments to freak out every now and then.

Luckily, my awesome parents have been in town, providing a welcome and comforting diversion. We've kept ourselves busy, celebrating their wedding anniversary in Fisherman's Wharf (where they honeymooned years earlier!), watching the slick Blue Angels zoom over the Bay celebrating the end of Fleet Week, and finally, taking advantage of the amazing weather and driving a cute PT Cruiser convertible up to the Marin Headlands where we enjoyed insanely breathtaking views of San Francisco from the top of uninhabited mountains.

Despite the surgery being tomorrow, today feels like a better day. Granted, it's early in the morning, but I'm determined to keep my fear at bay for a little longer. Aside from my parents being here, I've all sorts of distractions: a spontaneous, shorter 'do (at least 5 inches of hair less than I'm accustomed to), a shiny new iPhone (courtesy of my ridiculously cool friends at work), and of course, all the voice mails, texts, and emails from all of you. Granted, I'm unable to respond to them all right now, but rest assured they're coming through and are feeding my ninja strength one word at a time.

I'll be back tonight with some closing thoughts, and will be turning the blog over to Mom after that, where she'll provide post-surgery updates. Until then, enjoy these memorable snapshots from the Marin Headlands:

Me and my most Ninja-est kick


Mom showing me who's boss


Dad's better at crossword puzzles and fixing stuff

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda, best of luck to you tomorrow and the thoughts, prayers and wishes of my family to you and yours...your Mom's sheer willpower is enough to create enough karma and kinetic energy to breeze you through this time. The friends you have at Siemens look forward to your speedy recovery! Tim Perez

Abigail said...

Good day everyone, two months ago  I was diagnosed with (urethral cancer), which had caused me a great deal of pain and pressure on my bladder. My doctor insisted that there was no other choice but to go under the knife. So everyday I was online searching for herbal medication. I never want to undergo any surgery. so. I have so many testimonies on how they were healed by dr. Imoloa herbal medication. without wasting time i contacted him (dr. Imoloa). on how to get the herbal remedies. I received the herbal package in less than a month, and I followed the steps and procedure on how I should be taking it. and one months later I was scheduled for an ultrasound check: it was shocking. The cancer had completely gone, I had consulted my doctor and canceled the surgery and with your dedicated counseling guidance I managed to completely treat the urethral cancer, along with the pain and anxiety that this condition had inflicted on me. a big thanks to God almighty, thank you Dr. Imoloa for the powerful herbal medication you have to cure people. you reach him on Email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com WhatsApp number- +2347081986098.