Tuesday, October 9, 2007

It's Go Time

It's the night before the big surge. Tomorrow we'll be rising and shining at 5 a.m. and'll Stanford-bound shortly thereafter. It's raining and I kind of wish it wasn't -- but if I've learned anything these past few months, it's that you can't fight mother nature. So be it.

Our pre-op day today was, surprisingly, as long as an average workday. Because my procedure will encompass overlapping departments (Stanford's ENT department, their neurosurgery department and the actual Hospital -- mind you, 3 separate buildings and their staff, all of whom want to separately take your blood pressure and have you fill out forms), it's been a little bit of an undertaking on its own. But it felt good to be in the presence of doctors -- geniuses, these guys I have at Stanford -- and it was amazingly a boost that I needed. In fact, I feel oddly at peace considering what's about to go down tomorrow.

So, regarding recovery news: my mom is gonna take over blogging duties tomorrow (and by the way, how cool is it that my mom is gonna blog?), granted she can get to a computer sometime following the procedure. The job on me won't be completed until around 6 p.m. PST, so I suppose, now that I think about it, it could very well be Thursday that the news gets posted on here.

My mom will also be posting details about what can expected from me/us during my recovery, which unfortunately isn't the most glamorous process in the world. I do know, however, I'll remain at Stanford until at least Sunday.

So, I'm gonna try and get some sleep (despite it being the main activity I can expect to be undertaking over the next few days), though I have one last thing to mention: I just finished listening to a lot of your voicemails and reading your texts and e-mails, and once again, am finding myself in a humbling position of gratitude for having people like you to count on. Thanks so much, as always, and hopefully it won't be long before you'll be hearing from me again.

Lots of love to you all.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

My thoughts are with you.

- Ryan

JLS said...

Amanda,
My thoughts are with you all day today. I even said a prayer, a rare thing for a nonbeliever like me. But, you know, it can't hurt. Be strong, and when you can't be strong, know there's a bunch of us willing to pinch hit in that department. :)
Jenn

daniraper said...

Lew,

Go get 'em, Tiger.

Dani

Anonymous said...

Manda,
I'm thinking of you today and sending lots of love, support and courage your way. You're such an amazingly strong woman, you're going to get through this. Wish I could be there to give you a big hug, but I'll see you next month in SF. Big, BIG, sloppy kiss.
Lots of love,
Soph

Jamie said...

good luck and i love you
jamie

Anonymous said...

You are the most fabulous. I'm thinking of you today. Everytime Follett walks by whistling I think, "Dude. I CAN NOT WAIT for Amanda to come back." So hurry up and do that.

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Oops. forgot to sign my name.

xoxoxo
Kate

Anonymous said...

Vienna, VA loves you and is sending a million prayers to your door. I love the Ninja pictures - your dad's kick is a riot. Waiting to hear word from your Mom. Stay strong my dear...you have lots of folks to lean on to help you through this and many memories left to be shared getting through this. I know Fish has tricks up her sleeve to keep you laughing all the way through. We certainly can't wait to come see you.

Anonymous said...

Lew,
Nate and I are thinking of you today and anxiously awaiting positive news.
Love you so,
Jess

Anonymous said...

so, hurry up and call me, say something daft then respond to everything I say with "I'm sorry, WHAT?"

love you much.
komp