Saturday, October 13, 2007

Hospital Progress

Amanda is steadily making progress in the hospital. As with any extensive surgery, she has had a few bumps in the road. She has developed a slight brain fluid leak (dripping from her nose) - this is something that they have to make sure is stopped before she can leave the hospital, and she has some breathing difficulties with her lower lungs not functioning properly. These are all being tested, monitored and medications applied.

Her pain and vertigo are under control with a super cocktail of drugs. She has stood up and is getting stronger.

They did a great job in saving her hair, only shaving off what was needed, which she was excited to hear about. She has not seen herself, (this has been deliberate,) as she would not really recognize herself, since she is very swollen and bruised.

A few people have asked if she can have visitors. She is not up to having visitors, as she could not carry on a conversation, and gets tired very easily. She also can't read, or look at her iphone yet to respond to the many messages she is receiving. Be patient, she will get back to all of you, in a couple of weeks.

All of your prayers, special messages, and acts of kindness are getting her thru this. As her parents, we are very happy she has such a wonderful support group.

P.S. I forgot to mention that her genuis doctors are amazing--Dr. Robert Jackler, MD - Chairman of the Brain, Neck and Ear Department of Stanford, was assisted by Dr Lawrence Harsch, Head of Neurology ( AND HUSBAND OF MEG WHITMAN, CEO of EBAY).
Tumor could show up on EBAY.............

Warmest Regards,

Sharon Lewis (Amanda's Mom)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I send my thoughts to you Amanda and to you, her parents. I don't know Amanda but I spoke to her about this tough surgery she was going to undertake. I understand how rough this all is since I went through this myself. All the preparing in the world can't get you ready for how hard this really is, but once you've conquered all this, you come out the other end even stronger. And you will get through this. You seem very strong already and that is an amazing thing. It's wonderful you have such loving parents to help you through. I know I couldn't have done it without mine.I am sending thoughts and prayers to all of you for a speedy recovery. So happy they got all the tumor and your facial nerve is perfect.:) Wish I could give you a big hug and tell you, you will feel better I promise.
Chantil

Anonymous said...

Mandy, we're sending you big hugs. You are so brave.

Anonymous said...

Here are some facts about Mandy:

♥ When Amanda Lewis does a pushup, she isn’t lifting herself up, she’s pushing the Earth down.

♥ Amanda Lewis can win a game of Connect Four in only three moves.

♥ Amanda Lewis has counted to infinity. Twice.

♥ Amanda Lewis can jump-start a car -- with her mind.

♥ Simply by pulling on both ends, Amanda Lewis can stretch diamonds back into coal.

Mandy, you're cooler and stronger than Chuck Norris.

Anonymous said...

Mandy, as chagrined as I am to admit it, they're right. You seriously kick butt. Next to you, I look like Dennis Kucinich trying to lace up his Keds with a blindfold on. I am humbled and awed by the magnitude of your awesomeness!

While Visiting said...

i hope you're feeling a little better each day. my thoughts are with you daily. hugs x infinity + 1.