Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Long-overdue Update

It's been over a year since I've updated this blog on my progress post-Acoustic Neuroma surgery, and an update is, frankly, well overdue.

I know a lot of you who're reading this have most likely been diagnosed with an AN and are pursuing your own research -- just as I did when I discovered my own 3" AN back in August of 2007. I started this blog for you guys, mainly 'cause I was underwhelmed with the facts garnered from my own online discoveries (not to mention completely freaked out by the surplus of negative outcomes that seemed to make their way online, thereby downplaying the many positives that were never shared).

Since I last posted over a year ago, my health has been as good as it's ever been. The main repercussion, for me (having underwent the Translabyrinthine approach), has been acclimating to the complete hearing loss on my right side. All things considered, I accepted it wholeheartedly from the very beginning and don't consider it a total handicap (or, "Mandycap, as I like to personally refer to it). While sometimes it can be a total pain in the you-know-what, I've learned to deal with it. I don't think most people notice, and those that are well-aware (my family and close friends and co-workers) kindly deal with the occasional repetition it requires. I honestly think it's more annoying for them than it is for me -- I consider that somewhat of a plus in a weird way.

Otherwise, I'm completely recovered and good as new. My scar has almost completely faded and I'll continue to get MRI's annually to ensure there's no regrowth in the other ear (which they say is rare -- but, hello, so was the first one!). Can't be too careful from here on out...

My story was published in the June 2008 edition of the Acoustic Neuroma Association's newsletter, Voyages, and the responses continue to be overwhelming. I've felt humbled to have been contacted by many former AN patients -- of all ages and from all over the country) who shared their own experiences and/or simply felt the need to reach out and say hello. I never realized to how broad an audience this undertaking would eventually connect me; not to mention how close one could feel to a total stranger as the result of a unique, shared experience.

I also continue to receive a lot of e-mails from those of you who've randomly discovered this blog and welcome you get in touch if you have any questions in regards to what you can expect throughout your own AN adventure. I'm more than happy to help you out as so many did for me. The anxiety of it all is definitely the worst part; I know what you're going through and am here to help.

To sum up: I want you to know that I turned out just fine, and you will too. Hang in there and keep a positive attitude -- it will be your best antidote.

Cheers,
Amanda

7 comments:

Glennon said...

You are the loviest love that ever loved. I love you.
Love, Glennon

Anonymous said...

I congratulate, you were visited with a remarkable idea

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Lose Sluggish Downloads Using NZB Files You Can Rapidly Search High Quality Movies, PC Games, MP3 Singles, Applications and Download Them at Blazing Rates

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Elicia W said...

Thank you for your wonderful blog regarding AN! My husband just returned home from the hospital on Saturday and I have been looking for some positive feedback from former patients. I thought this whole process would was going to be a lot easier than it has been. He is doing wonderfully now, but the first few days to follow were very scary. I believe my husband has lost his hearing in full in the left side. I am hoping he is as positive as you have been! I am so glad you blogged your story. Cheers to you and all the other Ninjas who fought and beat the beast named Acoustic Neuroma!!